|Facilities: Heinz Field
One of the nation's finest football venues, Heinz Field is home to Panther football. The horseshoe stadium seats 65,500 people and provides a stunning view of Pittsburgh's breathtaking skyline.
Located on Pittsburgh's North Shore, the stadium is also home to the six-time Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.
The turf is a blend of four varieties of Kentucky Bluegrass, covering just over two acres. The soil is a 12-inch, sandbased root zone, meeting USGA specifications for particle size. Under the root zone, approximately 40 miles of ¾ inch piping heat the soil. Below the heating system there is a four-inch layer of pea gravel which contains drain pipes that empty into a 22-inch collector pipe surrounding the perimeter of the field.
The Panthers' locker room is 4,600 square feet, the Steelers' locker room is 6,000 square feet and both visiting locker rooms are 2,600 square feet.
Heinz Field has two Daktronics HD LED video boards. The video board in the south end zone is 28 x 96. During the 2014 offseason, a 35 x 72 video board was installed in the northwest corner of the stadium. The new board features a 13HD pixel layout.
HEINZ KETCHUP SCOREBOARD FACTS
The bottles are exact replicas--down to the embossed "57" on the bottle's neck--of the Heinz Ketchup 14-ounce glass bottle. Each bottle includes 8,000 pounds of fiberglass, 375 feet of neon tubing and 20,500 light emitting diodes (LEDs). Each Heinz Ketchup Bottle measures 35 feet x 9 feet and each weighs 8,000 pounds, both totaling 16,000 pounds--the equivalent of 53 linemen who each weigh 300 pounds. If the Heinz Ketchup bottles were filled with Heinz Ketchup, they would contain 1,664,000 fluid ounces each. That is enough to give each person seated at Heinz Field at least one 14-ounce bottle of ketchup to take home. If both bottles were emptied, the entire football field would be covered in ¾ of an inch of ketchup. Approximately 4,500 footballs could fit into each scoreboard ketchup bottle.
FEDEX GREAT HALL
Located on the ground level of the East side of Heinz Field. The FedEx Great Hall is home to Pitt Panthers and Pittsburgh Steelers memorabilia, Hall of Fame artifacts, Quaker Steak & Lube and Primanti Brothers.
HIGH SCHOOL MURALS
Throughout Heinz Field there are 60 murals from area high schools that have won a WPIAL or City League football championship.
To North Shore Parking:
- From NORTH 1-279 (North Hills): Exit 1B to Reedsdale Street -OR- Exit 2B to East Street to North Canal to Lacock Street.
- From NORTH Route 28 (Etna): North Shore Exit to Lacock Street.
- From WEST I-376 (Airport): Exit 69C, before Fort Pitt Tunnel, to West End Bridge and Ramp to North Shore.
- From EAST 1-376 (Monroeville): Exit 70C to I-279 (Fort Duquesne Bridge) to Exit 1B (North Shore) to Allegheny Avenue.
- From NORTH Route 65 (Ohio River Boulevard from I-79): Exit via North Shore Ramp
From North Shore Parking:
- From NORTH 1-279 (North Hills): Take HOV Ramps on Mazeroski Way or Anderson Street.
- From NORTH Route 28 (Etna): Follow General Robinson Street.
- From WEST I-376 (Airport): Follow North Shore Drive to Allegheny Avenue to Reedsdale Street to West End Bridge -OR- Reedsdale Street Underpass to West End Bridge.
- From EAST 1-376 (Monroeville): Use Allegheny Avenue to Fort Duquesne Bridge Ramp -OR- Reedsdale Street Underpass to Fort Duquesne Bridge.
- From NORTH Route 65 (Ohio River Boulevard from I-79): Use Allegheny Avenue to Western Avenue to Route 65 -OR- Reedsdale Street Underpass to Route 65.