July 28, 2012
PITTSBURGH--One hundred and forty-eight University of Pittsburgh student-athletes earned Big East Academic All-Star honors for their outstanding academic and athletic performance during the 2011-12 academic year, the conference announced on July 27.
The swimming and diving teams had the most all-star nominations for both women's and men's teams. The women led all squads with 21 honorees, while the men tallied 14 academic all-stars. Other top teams at Pitt included women's soccer and women's cross country with 16 nominations apiece.
The 2011-12 University of Pittsburgh Big East Academic All-Star list includes all varsity sports with the exception of football, which is announced separately. Pitt competes in the Eastern Wrestling League and East Atlantic Gymnastics League.
The Big East All-Academic Football Team was announced on February 9, and included 16 Pitt players, which are not included on the attached list. They were as follows: Joshua Brinson, Desmond Brown, Myles Caragein, Drake Greer, Kevin Harper, Jarred Holley, Adam Lazenga, Marco Pecora, Mike Shanahan, Andrew Taglianetti, Joe Trebitz, Ray Vinopal, Kris Wildman, Chris Yankoski, Matt Yoklic and Brett Zuck.
Honorees must have posted a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher and completed a minimum of two consecutive semesters of academic work.
2011-12 Academic Highlights
• 284 Student-Athletes achieved a 3.0 term GPA or above.
• 18 Student-Athlete achieved a 4.0 term GPA.
• 133 Pitt Student-Athletes were named Big East Academic All-Stars.
• 17 members of the Football team were named to the Big East All-Academic Team.
• 5 members of the Gymnastics team were named to the All-American Scholar-
Athlete team by the National Association of Collegiate Gymnastics Coaches for Women (NACGC-W).
• 9 gymnasts were named to the EAGL All-Academic Team (including 1 four-time honoree).
• 6 members of the Women's Tennis team achieved ITA Scholar-Athlete honors.
• Women's Tennis was regarded as an ITA All-Academic Team Awardee.
• Women's Swimming and Diving earned its 14th consecutive All-Academic
Distinction, while the men earned their first since 2008.
• Kelly Hmiel and Pierre Antoine Meunier were named 2012 American Eagle Outfitters Big East Institutional Scholar-Athletes.
• 52 Cheerleaders and Dance Team members achieved a 3.0 term GPA or above.
Panthers Finish Strong at AT&T Winter Nationals
Pitt Concludes Season with 3-1 Loss to No. 13 Penn State in Second Round of #NCAAVB Tournament
Panthers Looking to Bounce Back Against 49ers
Pitt Defeats No. 23 Dayton, 3-1; Punches Ticket to #NCAAVB Tournament Second Round
No. 21 Panthers Travel to No. 1 Oklahoma State
WATCH: Recapping the 2016 Track & Field Blue-Gold Meet