| Our Mission|
ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the Department of Athletics is to sponsor broad-based athletics programs that provide educational and athletic opportunities for all students and equitable opportunities for all students and staff. The Department of Athletics will execute its mission, as directed by the University's Board of Trustees, Chancellor and Athletics Director. Furthermore, the Department of Athletics is committed to excellence, integrity, fairness, good sportsmanship, and competitiveness that are consistent with and in support of the mission of the University of Pittsburgh. The Department of Athletics is committed to assisting student-athletes in personal, academic and athletic development. The development of student-athletes is incorporated within the total educational framework philosophies and objectives of the University.
The University of Pittsburgh Department of Athletics seeks to be a source of pride of the University, the City of Pittsburgh, Western Pennsylvania and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In doing so, the Department of Athletics strives to successfully compete at the highest level of Division-I-A Athletics and to be the best athletics program in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
The Department of Athletics is committed to ethical, honest and sportsmanlike behavior in full compliance with all federal and state laws, and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Atlantic Coast Conference and University rules and regulations.
Embraced in the mission of the Department of Athletics are the following operating principles and objectives:
- To strive to improve and sustain the academic performance of our student-athletes from admissions through graduation, and to continue to take an active role in enabling student-athletes to meet academic challenges.
- To provide support in all areas of student-athlete welfare including academics, physical and emotional well being, social development, personal growth, wellness, career and community service.
- To recruit student-athletes and staff of the highest integrity who possess the skills necessary to succeed.
- Through the principles of Commitment, Teamwork and Pride, promote character development in student-athletes, including cooperation, leadership, group loyalty, good sportsmanship, and competition and thereby contribute to the development of institutional morale, loyalty and school spirit.
- To encourage student-athletes, coaches and administrative staff to participate in community involvement, through the Panthers' Game Plan, as allowed by NCAA, Atlantic Coast Conference and University rules.
- To support equitable opportunities for all student-athletes, administrators, coaches and staff, by striving to create a culturally diverse staff that reflects the student-athlete population, the University and the City of Pittsburgh.
- The Department of Athletics will comply with applicable non-discrimination laws and University policies and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or citizen status, age, disability or veteran's status in employment, education and athletic participation.
- The University and the Department of Athletics is committed to compliance with Title IX and to gender equity in athletics.
- To employ coaches and administrative staff, consistent with NCAA, University and Department high standards of integrity, moral conduct, ethical behavior and sportsmanship.
- To provide the best facilities, equipment, training and health care to ensure that student-athletes have the opportunity to excel.
- To achieve fiscal stability by developing and monitoring a sound financial base of adequate funding and appropriate management of funding.
To provide opportunities for student-athletes to achieve their fullest potential-academically, athletically, and socially - while competing successfully at the highest level. To serve as a course of pride for the University, the City of Pittsburgh, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Integrity: Acting with honesty and principles
Student-Athlete Welfare: Committed to the best interests of our student-athletes
Respect: Working and serving with dignity, professionalism and respect for all
Pursuit of Excellence: Achieving and the highest level
Teamwork: Working together to achieve our common goals
Resource Management: Managing our human and fiscal resources responsibly