The University of Pittsburgh is committed to the advancement of learning and service to the society. This is best accomplished in an atmosphere of mutual respect and civility, self-restraint, concern for others, and academic integrity. By choosing to join this community, I accept the obligation to live by these common values and commit myself to the following principles:
The Pitt Promise - A Commitment to Civiity|
As a Pitt Student and a member of the University community:
By endorsing these common principles, I accept a moral obligation to behave in ways that contribute to civil campus environment and resolve to support this behavior in others. This commitment to civility is my promise to the University of Pittsburgh and its community of scholars.
- I will embrace the concept of civil community which abhors violence, theft, and exploitation of others,
- I will commit myself to the pursuit of knowledge with personal integrity and academic honesty,
- I will respect the sanctity of the learning environment and avoid disruptive and deceitful behavior toward other members of the campus community,
- I will support a culture of diversity by respecting the rights of those who differ from myself, I will contribute to the development of a caring community where compassion for others and freedom of thought and expression are valued,
- I will honor, challenge and contribute to the scholarly heritage left by those who preceded me and work to leave this a better place for those who follow.