Feb. 7, 2012
PITTSBURGH – With the start of the college baseball season less than two weeks away, a number of Pitt baseball players enter the 2012 campaign with a chance to move up in a variety of statistical categories in the program’s record book.
The Panthers’ lineup has made its mark on Pitt’s all-time list of offensive categories the past few seasons, but with most of those players now graduated it is the pitchers working on making a lasting impression.
Four pitchers – Matt Iannazzo, Alex Caravella, J.R. Leonardi and David Kaye are already in the top-10 for their career in at least one category. Both Iannazzo and Caravella appear in the top-10 for single-season statistics, as well.
In addition to the players, head coach Joe Jordano is set to etch his name in the record book. With 399 wins at Pitt, Jordano is just four victories shy of becoming the program’s all-time leader. He is also the second winningest coach in team history with a .541 winning percentage.
A closer look at current players in the all-time records lists…
Earned Run Average
10. David Kaye (2.52), 2008-present
9. Matt Iannazzo (32), 2009-present
8. Alex Caravella (5), 2010-present
8. J.R. Leonardi (5), 2010-present
2. Matt Iannazzo (21), 2009-present
4. Matt Iannazzo (241.2), 2009-present
6. Matt Iannazzo (21-8; .724), 2009-present
11. Matt Iannazzo (163), 2009-present
3. Matt Iannazzo (14), 2011
9. Matt Iannazzo (13), 2010
5. Alex Caravella (5), 2011
18. Casey Roche (3), 2011
18. Matt Iannazzo (5), 2011
2. Matt Iannazzo (11), 2010
5. Matt Iannazzo (8), 2011
2. Alex Caravella (25), 2011
3. Matt Iannazzo (102.1), 2011
5. Matt Iannazzo (93.1), 2010
2. Joe Jordano (399), 1998-present – Only four wins shy of becoming school’s all-time leader.
2. Joe Jordano (.541), 1998-present
Big East Wins in a Season
1. Joe Jordano (17), 2004