Jan. 21, 2014
Clemson at No. 20/19 Pitt • Petersen Events Center • January 21, 2014
No. 20/19 Pitt 76, Clemson 43
• Pitt improved to 17-2 on the season and 5-1 in the Atlantic Coast Conference with its 76-43 victory over Clemson. With tonight’s win against the Tigers, the Panthers moved to 5-1 in conference play to pull within a tie with Virginia for second place in the standings.
• The Panthers’ 33-point margin of victory was its largest advantage over a conference opponent since defeating DePaul, 93-55 (+38), on Jan. 26, 2013 (Big East Conference). It was also the fourth-largest margin of victory against a conference opponent in program history. It was also Pitt’s largest-ever ACC victory in six games this year.
• Lamar Patterson, who scored 13 points with four rebounds in tonight’s game, became the 19th player in Pitt basketball history to record 1,000 points and 500 rebounds in his career. He needed just two rebounds to achieve the milestone. Patterson surpassed the 1,000-point mark on Dec. 31, 2013 vs. Albany at the Petersen Events Center.
• Pitt entered the second half with a double-digit lead for the 10th time this season. Tonight marked the fifth time the Panthers entered the second half with a lead of 17 or more points. Additionally, Pitt’s 17-point advantage was its largest first-half lead this season against an ACC opponent.
• Pitt scored 27 field goals on 24 assists in tonight’s contest for an 88.9 percentage. That mark ties for the fifth-best mark in school history. At the 15:27 mark of the second half, all 16 of the Panthers’ field goals came off an assist.
• Jamie Dixon now owns a 16-0 record vs. previous ACC teams and a 32-11 overall record vs. current ACC teams (including Syracuse and Notre Dame). This evening’s contest against Clemson was the second between the two programs with the Panthers winning both of them.
• Pitt is now 12-0 at the Petersen Events Center this season, the fourth-best undefeated mark in program history. The Panthers have also won 14 consecutive games at the Petersen Events Center to tie for the eight-longest home-court winning streak in program history.
• The Panthers currently own a 192-22 record at the Petersen Events Center, winning 98 of their last 110 home games and 41 of their last 51 conference matchups.
• The Panthers tied their season-high for 3-point field goal percentage after shooting 53.3% from beyond the arc. Lamar Patterson went 3-for-4 from 3-point range tonight and has now recorded at least three 3-pointers in a game nine times this season, including three of his last four games. The senior forward has also accounted for 23 of Pitt’s last 45 triples made (51.1%) in its last 10 games.
• Patterson has been a steady constant for the Panthers’ offensive approach, excelling in both buckets and dimes. He came on shy of his career-high in assists with six in tonight’s win and has registered at least six assists in eight games this season, including four in his last six games. Patterson has shot at least 40.0% from the field in nine of his last 10 games.
• Senior forward Talib Zanna totaled a team-best 22 points on 9-of-10 (90.0%) shooting against the Tigers, extending his streak of consecutive double-digit scoring efforts to a career-best seven games. Zanna’s 90.0% mark from the field tied his career-best field-goal percentage when shooting at least nine times. Zanna has led the Panthers in scoring six times this season.
• James Robinson had nine points and eight assists against the Tigers.
• Cameron Wright registered his 11th double-digit scoring performance of the season after totaling 12 points on the night. It was also the 15th time that Wright has scored 10 or more points in a single game in his career.
• Josh Newkirk provided 10 of the Panthers’ 18 bench points in 15 minutes played this evening. It was the second time the freshman guard reached double-digits in a game, coming just one point shy of his career-best mark of 11.
Former Pitt Stars Continue Trek in The Basketball Tournament
Former Panther Troutman Making his Mark Overseas
Pairings Announced for 2K Classic
Richardson Brings Innovative Training Style to Pitt
WATCH: Panthers Building Foundation in the Weight Room
@Pitt_MBB Announces 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule