PITT (0-0, 0-0 ACC) vs. DELAWARE (0-0, 0-0 CAA)
August 30, 2014 • Noon, ET
Heinz Field (65,500/Natural Grass) • Pittsburgh, Pa.
ESPN3 • Pitt IMG Sports Radio Network
PittsburghPanthers.com • @GoPittFootball • #PITTvsDEL
Pitt Game Notes Link: Delaware Game
• Pitt hosts Delaware in the 2014 season-opening contest for both teams. The Panthers and Blue Hens are meeting for the first time. Pitt is 79-43-2 (.645) all-time in season openers.
• The Panthers will celebrate their 125th season of intercollegiate football competition in 2014. Pitt played its inaugural season in 1890 and has an all-time record of 690-503-42.
• Pitt is coming off a 7-6 campaign, including a postseason win over MAC champion Bowling Green (30-27). Delaware finished last season 7-5.
• The Panthers return eight starters on offense but will be featuring a new starting quarterback in sophomore Chad Voytik. His most extensive action last year came in Pitt's bowl victory when he threw for 108 yards, rushed for 24 and had a five-yard TD run all in the second half.
• Defensively, Pitt will be replacing six starters from last year's unit, including tackle Aaron Donald, the most decorated defensive player in college football in 2013. A unanimous All-American, Donald was a first-round pick of the St. Louis Rams in the 2014 NFL Draft.
• The Panthers will be fielding one of their youngest rosters in memory. Pitt went through training camp with 81 underclassmen (53 freshmen and 28 sophomores), the highest total of any Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) team in the country.
• Delaware is one of the most accomplished programs on the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) level. The Blue Hens have been to the NCAA playoffs 20 times in their history, winning six national titles. Pitt is 11-1 all-time against FCS foes.
Pitt-Delaware History in Brief
Series Began: 2014
Series Overall: 0-0
At Pittsburgh: 0-0
At Delaware: 0-0
At Neutral Sites: 0-0
OT Games: 0-0
Last Meeting: 2014
Current Series Win Streak: DNA
Longest Pitt Series Win Streak: DNA
Longest UD Series Win Streak: DNA
Largest Pitt Margin of Victory: DNA
Largest UD Margin of Victory: DNA
Pitt-Delaware Series Notes
This is the first meeting between Pitt and Delaware...however, the Panthers have previous encounters with four teams from Delaware's conference, the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA)...Pitt is undefeated (9-0) against current members of the CAA, most recently beating Maine, 35-29, in 2011 and New Hampshire, 38-16, in 2010...the Panthers have also played CAA members Villanova (twice, most recently in 1998) and William & Mary (five times, most recently in 1977)...Delaware plays on the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) level...Pitt is 10-1 all-time vs. FCS opponents...in 2013, Pitt defeated Old Dominion, which was in an FBS reclassifying season and, thus, does not count in the Panthers' all-time FCS record...ODU is a member of Conference USA this year.
Pitt-Delaware Broadcast Information
Television • ESPN3
Dave Weekley, play-by-play
Mickey Matthews, analyst
Pitt Radio • 93.7 The Fan & the Pitt IMG Sports Network
Bill Hillgrove, play-by-play
Pat Bostick, analyst
Larry Richert, reporter
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
Sirius Channel 132, XM Channel 193
Internet Audio • Panthers All-Access
Pitt Earns Invitation to New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Ejuan Price Named Finalist for Ted Hendricks Award
Brian O'Neill Selected as a Piesman Trophy Finalist
James Conner Named Winner Of ACC's Brian Piccolo Award
JAMES CONNER TOOK A HEROIC ROAD TO 1,000 YARDS
Bugg, Henderson Earn First National Bank Weekly Honors