Sept. 23, 2013
Pitt (2-1, 1-1 ACC) vs. Virginia (2-1, 0-0 ACC)
Sept. 28, 2013 • 12:30 p.m., ET • RSN (ROOT SPORTS in Pittsburgh)
Heinz Field (65,500/Natural Grass) • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Pitt Game Notes Link: Virginia Game
RSN TV Affiliates Link: Pitt-UVA TV
• Pitt looks for its third consecutive victory when Virginia visits Heinz Field for an ACC Coastal Division matchup. The Panthers have rebounded from a season-opening loss to nationally ranked Florida State to win each of their past two contests.
• Pitt earned its first ACC win by winning a track meet at Duke last week, 58-55. The Panthers are averaging 40 points per game on the young season to rank fourth in the ACC.
• Senior quarterback Tom Savage is coming off a historic performance at Duke, throwing for 424 yards and tying the ACC record with six touchdown passes. Named the Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week, Savage leads the ACC in passing yards per game (287.0 avg.).
• The Panthers boast the ACC’s most potent receiving tandem to date. Senior Devin Street is averaging a league-best 129 receiving yards per game (fourth best nationally), while freshman Tyler Boyd is averaging 104.7 yards (third in the ACC and 18th nationally). The pair combined for 320 yards, 14 catches and five TDs at Duke.
• Freshman running back James Conner has rushed for more than 100 yards in each of the past two games. Conner had a career-high 173 yards at Duke and is averaging 6.9 yards per carry on the season.
• Defensive tackle Aaron Donald has been a fixture in the opponent’s backfield this season. The senior All-America candidate leads the ACC and ranks fourth nationally in tackles for loss (2.33 per game). Donald is seventh nationally with 1.33 sacks per contest.
• A youth movement is underway at Pitt. Twelve true freshmen and seven redshirt freshmen have played for the Panthers this year. True frosh lead Pitt in rushing (James Conner), all-purpose yards (Tyler Boyd) and scoring (Boyd).
Pitt-Virginia History in Brief
Series Began: 1953
Series Overall: Pitt leads 3-2
At Pittsburgh: Pitt leads 2-0
At Virginia: Series tied 1-1
Neutral Sites: Virginia leads 1-0 (UVA won 2003 Continental Tire Bowl, 23-16)
Last Meeting at Pitt: Sept. 2, 2006 (Pitt 38, Virginia 13)
Last Meeting at UVA: Sept. 29, 2007 (Virginia 44, Pitt 14)
Current Series Streak: Virginia has won 1 (2007)
Longest Pitt Series Win Streak: 2 games (1953, 1955)
Longest UVA Series Win Streak: 1 game (2003 & 2007)
Largest Pitt Victory Margin: 26 points (26-0, 1953)
Largest UVA Victory Margin: 30 points (44-14, 2007)
Pitt-Virginia Series Notes
This is the sixth meeting between Pitt and Virginia in a series that dates back to 1953...this year’s game serves as the inaugural Atlantic Coast Conference matchup between the two schools...Pitt and Virginia will meet annually as members of the ACC’s Coastal Division...Pitt leads the series, 3-2...in the last meeting, the host Cavaliers defeated Pitt, 44-14, on Sept. 29, 2007...the last meeting at Heinz Field occurred on Sept. 2, 2006, a 38-13 Pitt victory in the season opener for both teams...the Panthers are 2-0 against Virginia in Pittsburgh and 1-1 in Charlottesville...the lone postseason encounter took place in the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl in Charlotte, a game that featured Pitt receiver Larry Fitzgerald and Virginia standouts Matt Schaub at quarterback and Heath Miller at tight end...the Cavaliers won that bowl matchup, 23-16.
Pitt-Virginia Broadcast Information
Television • RSN (ROOT SPORTS in Pittsburgh)
Wes Durham, play-by-play
Brian Stann, analyst
Jenn Hildreth, reporter
Pitt Radio • 93.7 The Fan & the Pitt IMG Sports Network
Larry Richert, play-by-play
Pat Bostick, analyst
Gregg Giannotti, reporter
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
Sirius Channel 93, XM Channel 198
Internet Audio • Panthers All-Access
Pitt Football Positional Preview: Special Teams
Pitt's Conner Named to Walter Camp Award Watch List
Pitt Football Positional Preview: The Defense
Pitt's Conner Named Preseason Doak Walker Award Candidate
Three Pitt players named Wuerffel Trophy candidates
Pitt's Bisnowaty Named to Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List