PITT (4-2, 1-1 ACC) vs. VIRGINIA (2-3, 1-0 ACC)
October 15, 2016 • 12:30 p.m., ET
Scott Stadium (61,500/Natural Grass) • Charlottesville, Va.
ACC Network (WTAE-TV, Channel 4) • Pitt IMG Sports Radio Network
PittsburghPanthers.com • @Pitt_FB • #PITTvsUVa
- Following consecutive wins at Heinz Field, including last week's dramatic 37-34 victory over Georgia Tech, Pitt hits the road to take on Coastal Division foe Virginia.
- In three ACC meetings between Pitt and Virginia, the average victory margin has been just 7.7 points. The Panthers claimed a 26-19 decision at Heinz in 2015.
- Pitt seeks its first win in Charlottesville since a 26-0 victory in 1953. Pitt dropped each of its last two games at Virginia, 24-19 in 2014 and 44-14 in 2007.
- Virginia has rallied from an 0-3 start to win its past two games, a 49-35 victory over previously unbeaten Central Michigan and a 34-20 road win at Duke.
- Virginia is under the new direction of Bronco Mendenhall, who spent the prior 11 seasons as head coach at BYU. Mendenhall led BYU to a bowl game each year of his tenure.
- Pitt's Ejuan Price is making a strong case for All-America and ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors. The senior defensive end leads the entire nation in quarterback sacks (8.5) and tackles for loss (12.5). Price has logged at least one sack in each contest this season.
- Ejuan Price spearheads a stingy Pitt rushing defense that surrenders just 98.3 yards per contest. The Panthers rank 10th nationally and second in the ACC in fewest rushing yards allowed.
- Offensively, the Panthers are averaging 37.3 points per game. Pitt has scored at least 36 points in five consecutive games for the first time in program history.
- The Panthers boast one of college football's most dangerous all-purpose players in Quadree Henderson, who is a threat in the run, pass and return game. The sophomore wide receiver is second nationally in total all-purpose yards with 1,046.
This is the ninth meeting between Pitt and Virginia in a series that dates back to 1953...Pitt leads the overall series, 5-3, and won last year's encounter at Heinz Field, 26-19...the Panthers lead the ACC series, 2-1...Pitt is 4-0 against the Cavaliers in Pittsburgh and 1-2 in Charlottesville...the Panthers dropped each of their past two games at Virginia, 24-19 in 2014 and 44-14 in 2007...Pitt’s only road win in the series occurred in 1953 (26-0)...the lone postseason encounter took place in the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl in Charlotte, a game that featured Pitt receiver Larry Fitzgerald and UVA standouts Matt Schaub at quarterback and Heath Miller at tight end...the Cavaliers won that bowl matchup, 23-16.
SERIES IN BRIEF
Series Began: 1953
Series Overall: Pitt leads 5-3
ACC Series: Pitt leads 2-1
At Pittsburgh: Pitt leads 4-0
At Virginia: UVA leads 2-1
Neutral Sites: UVA leads 1-0 (UVA won 2003 Continental Tire Bowl, 23-16)
Last Meeting: Oct. 10, 2015 (Pitt won, 26-19)
Last Meeting at UVA: Oct. 4, 2014 (UVA won, 24-19)
Current Series Streak: Pitt has won 1 (2015)
Longest Pitt Series Win Streak: 2 games (1953, 1955)
Longest UVA Series Win Streak: 1 game (3 times, 2003; '07; '14)
Largest Pitt Victory Margin: 26 points (26-0, 1953)
Largest UVA Victory Margin: 30 points (44-14, 2007)
Television • ACC Network (WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh)
Tom Werme, play-by-play
Dave Archer, analyst
Roddy Jones, reporter
Pitt Radio • 93.7 The Fan & the Pitt IMG Sports Network
Bill Hillgrove, play-by-play
Bill Osborn, analyst
Larry Richert, reporter
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
Internet Channel 972 (Pitt broadcast)
WPTS Radio (Pitt Student Station) • 92.1 FM
Pitt IMG Sports Network Online Audio Options
PittsburghPanthers.com via CSLive
Pitt Gameday LIVE App
TuneIn (free live and on-demand content)
Pitt Football Spring Drills: Day 5 Recap
Pitt Football Welcomes 30 NFL Teams for Annual Pro Day
Pitt Football Spring Drills: Day 4 Recap
Chancellor Gallagher Names Heather Lyke Pitt Athletic Director
Pitt Football Spring Drills: Day 3 Recap
Pitt Football Spring Drills: Day 2 Recap