Nov. 11, 2013
Pitt (5-4, 2-3 ACC) vs. North Carolina (4-5, 3-3 ACC)
Nov. 16, 2013 • 12:30 p.m., ET • ACC Network (WTAE-TV)
Heinz Field (65,500/Natural Grass) • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Pitt Game Notes Link: UNC Game
• Pitt eyes postseason eligibility when it hosts North Carolina in an Atlantic Coast Conference game at Heinz Field. Coming off a stirring 28-21 win over #24 Notre Dame, the Panthers can earn their sixth victory of the season and bowl eligibility by defeating the resurgent Tar Heels.
• This will be the teams’ first meeting since the 2009 Meineke Car Care Bowl when the Panthers edged UNC, 19-17, on a late field goal. Pitt and North Carolina will now meet annually as members of the ACC’s Coastal Division.
• North Carolina has recovered from a 1-5 start with three consecutive victories, including a 45-14 thumping of Virginia last week. During their winning streak, the Tar Heels have outscored their opponents by a 106-43 count with each victory coming against ACC foes.
• A key figure in Pitt’s effort to slow down North Carolina’s up-tempo offensive attack will be senior defensive tackle Aaron Donald. The All-America candidate leads the nation in tackles for loss (2.2 per game), ranks seventh in sacks (1.0 per game) and is 14th in forced fumbles (0.33 per game).
• Aaron Donald is a viable candidate for no fewer than five national awards. He was recently named a semifinalist for the Bednarik Award and Rotary Lombardi Award. He additionally is up for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Outland Trophy and Lott IMPACT Trophy.
• Tyler Boyd is having one of the most productive seasons by a freshman receiver in Pitt history. With three regular-season games to go, Boyd has 53 catches — second only to Larry Fitzgerald’s 13-game freshman total of 69.
• The Panthers’ passing game will face one of the ACC’s top 5 air defenses in North Carolina (217.2 pass yards allowed per game). The Tar Heels have 12 interceptions while giving up only 11 touchdown passes.
Pitt-North Carolina History in Brief
Series Began: 1974
Series Overall: UNC leads 4-3
At Pittsburgh: Pitt leads 2-1
At UNC: UNC leads 3-0
At Neutral Sites: Pitt leads 1-0
OT Games: DNA
Last Meeting: Dec. 26, 2009 (Meineke Bowl: Pitt 19, UNC 17)
Last Meeting at Pitt: Nov. 4, 2000 (UNC 20, Pitt 17)
Current Series Streak: Pitt has won one (2009)
Longest Pitt Series Win Streak: 1 game (three times)
Longest UNC Series Win Streak: 2 games (1998; 2000)
Largest Pitt Victory Margin: 4 points (20-16, 1978)
Largest UNC Victory Margin: 19 points (29-10, 1998)
Pitt-North Carolina Series Notes
This is the eighth meeting between Pitt and North Carolina in a series that dates back to 1974…the 2013 encounter marks the first Atlantic Coast Conference game between the two schools...the Panthers and Tar Heels will meet annually as members of the ACC’s Coastal Division...North Carolina leads the all-time series, 4-3…the teams last met on Dec. 26, 2009 in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte...Pitt won that game, 19-17, with the winning points coming on Dan Hutchins’ 33-yard field goal with 52 seconds left...the last meeting in Pittsburgh took place during the 2000 season, when the visiting Tar Heels defeated Pitt, 20-17, in Three Rivers Stadium (Pitt’s home for one season, prior to the completion of Heinz Field)…the Panthers’ only two regular-season wins in the series have both occurred in Pittsburgh, 20-16 in 1978, and 7-6 in 1982…the ’82 game served as the opener for both teams and was a battle of preseason Top 5 teams in Three Rivers Stadium…Pitt, led by quarterback Dan Marino, was the preseason No. 1 team, while North Carolina, which featured tailback Kelvin Bryant, was No. 5…the ’82 game was played in Three Rivers Stadium to accommodate a weeknight CBS primetime television audience.
Pitt-North Carolina Broadcast Information
Television • ACC Network (WTAE-TV, Channel 4, in Pittsburgh)
Ron Thulin, play-by-play
Riley Skinner, analyst
Elizabeth Moreau, reporter
Pitt Radio • 93.7 The Fan & the Pitt IMG Sports Network
Bill Hillgrove, play-by-play
Pat Bostick, analyst
Gregg Giannotti, reporter
Larry Richert, reporter
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
Sirius Channel 132, XM Channel 203
Internet Audio • Panthers All-Access
Pitt Places 10 on Athlon's Preseason All-ACC Team
Pitt Student-Athletes Share Experiences from Haiti Trip
Pitt Football Unveils Young Alumni Ticket Program
Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Donates $20,000 to Pittsburgh Charities
Star Wars Night at Pitt Football
Pat Narduzzi and Chris Doleman compete in Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Challenge