Nov. 18, 2013
Pitt (5-5, 2-4 ACC) vs. Syracuse (5-5, 3-3 ACC)
Nov. 23, 2013 • 12:30 p.m., ET • ACC Network (WTAE-TV)
Carrier Dome (49,262/FieldTurf) • Syracuse, N.Y.
Pitt Game Notes Link: Syracuse Game
ACC Network Link: Affiliates List
• Longtime eastern rivals Pitt and Syracuse will meet for the first time as members of the Atlantic Coast Conference when the Panthers visit the Carrier Dome on Saturday. With identical 5-5 records, both teams need a victory to earn bowl eligibility.
• The Panthers and Orange have played every season since 1955. The rivalry will continue as an annual affair in the ACC as the teams are permanent crossover opponents. Pitt is a member of the ACC’s Coastal Division while Syracuse plays in the Atlantic.
• The Panthers have won seven of their past eight meetings with the Orange. However, Syracuse triumphed in last year’s game, 14-13, in the Dome. It was the Orange’s first victory in the series since 2004.
• Leading Pitt’s defensive effort at Syracuse will be senior tackle Aaron Donald. The All-America candidate leads the nation in tackles for loss (2.3 per game), ranks sixth in sacks (1.0 per game) and is eighth in forced fumbles (0.40 per game).
• Aaron Donald is a viable candidate for no fewer than five national awards. He was recently named a semifinalist for the Bednarik Award, Rotary Lombardi Award and Lott IMPACT Trophy. He additionally is up for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and Outland Trophy.
• Pitt boasts the most productive receiving tandem in the ACC. Senior Devin Street and freshman Tyler Boyd are the only pair of teammates to rank in the league’s top seven in both receptions and receiving yards per game. Street is averaging 5.4 catches and 94.1 receiving yards per game, while Boyd averages 5.8 and 82.1.
• Tyler Boyd is having one of the most productive seasons by a freshman receiver in Pitt history. With two regular-season games to go, Boyd has 58 catches — second only to Larry Fitzgerald’s 13-game freshman total of 69.
Pitt-Syracuse History in Brief
Series Began: 1916
Series Overall: Pitt leads 34-31-3
At Pittsburgh: Pitt leads 20-11
At Syracuse: SU leads 18-14-3
At Neutral Sites: SU leads 2-0
OT Games: SU leads 2-0
Last Meeting: Oct. 5, 2012 (Carrier Dome: Syracuse 14, Pitt 13)
Last Meeting at Pitt: Dec. 3, 2011 (Pitt 33, Syracuse 20)
Current Series Win Streak: Syracuse has won one (2012)
Longest Pitt Series Win Streak: 11 games (1973-83)
Longest SU Series Win Streak: 11 games (1991-2001)
Largest Pitt Margin of Victory: 38 points (38-0, 1975)
Largest SU Margin of Victory: 48 points (55-7, 1996)
Pitt-Syracuse Series Notes
Pitt and Syracuse have met every year since 1955…Pitt holds a 34-31-3 advantage in the all-time series, which began in 1916...this will be the teams’ first meeting as members of the Atlantic Coast Conference...although the Panthers (Coastal) and Orange (Atlantic) are in separate ACC divisions, they will face each other as annual primary crossover opponents...the Panthers have won seven of the past eight games against the Orange, and nine of the past 11...Pitt’s seven-game series winning streak was snapped last year when Syracuse won in the Carrier Dome, 14-13...it was the Orange’s first win over Pitt since 2004...the teams met 20 times as Big East football conference members from 1993-2013 and Syracuse had an 11-9 edge over Pitt in those contests...since 1972 (41 seasons), 17 games have been decided by single digits (excluding a 20-20 tie in 1990)...the teams have played two double-overtime games and Syracuse won both (24-17 in 2000 and 38-31 in 2004)...both overtime contests were played in the Carrier Dome...Pitt is 20-11 against Syracuse in Pittsburgh...that record includes a 5-1 mark at Heinz Field...the Orange’s only victory at Heinz came in the stadium’s inaugural season, a 42-10 decision in 2001...the Orange hold an 18-14-3 advantage in games played in Syracuse...the Orange are also 2-0 against Pitt in neutral site games (the last coming at Shea Stadium in 1965)...Pitt is 6-10-1 all-time in the Carrier Dome, which opened in 1980...however, the Panthers have won four times in their last six visits to the Dome.
Pitt-Syracuse Broadcast Information
Television • ACC Network (WTAE-TV, Channel 4, in Pittsburgh)
Tim Brant, play-by-play
Dave Archer, analyst
Rachel Baribeau, reporter
Pitt Radio • 93.7 The Fan & the Pitt IMG Sports Network
Bill Hillgrove, play-by-play
Pat Bostick, analyst
Gregg Giannotti, reporter
Larry Richert, reporter
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
Sirius Channel 113, XM Channel 204
Internet Audio • Panthers All-Access
Pitt Student-Athletes Share Experiences from Haiti Trip
Pitt Football Unveils Young Alumni Ticket Program
Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Donates $20,000 to Pittsburgh Charities
Star Wars Night at Pitt Football
Pat Narduzzi and Chris Doleman compete in Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Challenge
Pitt has five players selected in 2017 NFL Draft