Tom Savage is on the verge of 3,000 passing yards this year.
Dec. 19, 2013
Pitt (6-6, 3-5 ACC) vs. Bowling Green (10-3, 7-1 MAC)
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl
Dec. 26, 2013 • 6 p.m., ET • ESPN
Ford Field (65,000/FieldTurf) • Detroit, Michigan
Pitt Bowl Game Notes Link: Little Caesars Pizza Bowl vs. Bowling Green
• Pitt will make its 30th all-time postseason appearance when it takes on the Mid-American Conference champion Bowling Green Falcons in the 2013 Little Caesars Pizza Bowl at Ford Field.
• The Panthers and Falcons have faced each other three prior times, the last coming in 2008. Pitt leads the series, 2-1, but dropped the last meeting, 27-17, at Heinz Field. Pitt is 29-3 all-time against the MAC. This will be the Panthers’ first bowl game against a MAC foe.
• Pitt will be looking to slow down a Bowling Green offensive attack that averages 35.4 points and 472.5 yards per contest. The Panthers will counter with a unit led by senior tackle Aaron Donald, the most decorated defensive player in the nation.
• Donald was honored with the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Chuck Bednarik Award, Outland Trophy and Rotary Lombardi Award. He was also named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year.
• Donald had one of the most disruptive seasons for an interior lineman in college football history. He currently leads the nation in tackles for loss (2.2 per game), while ranking 10th in forced fumbles (0.33 per game) and 13th in sacks (0.83 per game).
• Senior quarterback Tom Savage triggers Pitt’s offensive attack. Entering the bowl with 2,834 passing yards, Savage is looking to become just the fifth Pitt QB to reach 3,000 yards in a season.
• One of Savage’s top passing targets is Tyler Boyd, whose 77 receptions lead all freshmen receivers on the Football Bowl Subdivision level. Boyd’s reception total is the most ever by a Pitt freshman. His 1,001 receiving yards are second only to Larry Fitzgerald’s frosh total of 1,005 in 2002.
• A win over Bowling Green would give Pitt its first bowl victory and winning season since 2010. Pitt was 6-7 the past two years.
Pitt-Bowling Green History in Brief
Series Began: 1999
Series Overall: Pitt leads 2-1
At Pittsburgh: Series tied 1-1
At BGSU: Pitt leads 1-0
At Neutral Sites: DNA
OT Games: DNA
Last Meeting: Aug. 30, 2008 (Heinz Field: BGSU 27, Pitt 17)
Last Meeting at BGSU: Sept. 9, 2000 (Pitt 34, Bowling Green 16)
Current Series Win Streak: BGSU has won 1 (2008)
Longest Pitt Series Win Streak: 2 games (1999-2000)
Longest BGSU Series Win Streak: 1 game (2008)
Largest Pitt Margin of Victory: 20 points (30-10, 1999)
Largest BGSU Margin of Victory: 10 points (27-17, 2008)
Pitt-Bowling Green Series Notes
This is the fourth meeting between Pitt and Bowling Green in a series that dates back to 1999...the 2013 Little Caesars Pizza Bowl marks the first postseason game between the two teams...Pitt and Bowling Green last met in the 2008 season opener...the Panthers, owning a No. 25 preseason ranking, seized a 14-0 second-quarter lead but would ultimately fall to the visiting Falcons, 27-17...it was the first time Pitt would lose to a Mid-American Conference team at home in 25 games...Pitt and Bowling Green also played a home-and-home series over the 1999 and 2000 seasons...the Panthers won both games: 30-10 in Pitt Stadium to open the ‘99 campaign (the last season played in the venerable building) and 34-16 at Bowling Green the following year...Pitt is 29-3 all-time against the MAC, including 26-1 at home (the lone loss coming to Bowling Green)...the Panthers are 3-2 vs. MAC foes on the road...Pitt has never played a MAC opponent in a bowl game.
Pitt-Bowling Green Broadcast Information
Television • ESPN
Dave Lamont, play-by-play
Ray Bentley, analyst
Niki Noto, reporter
Pitt Radio • 93.7 The Fan & the Pitt IMG Sports Network
Bill Hillgrove, play-by-play
Pat Bostick, analyst
Larry Richert, reporter
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
SiriusXM Channel 91
Internet Audio • Panthers All-Access
TYLER BOYD SELECTED BY CINCINNATI IN 2016 NFL DRAFT
MARK SCARPINATO NAMED TO HAMPSHIRE HONOR SOCIETY
Blue Defeats Gold in Spring Game, 19-17
Coverage: Pitt Football Spring Practice #14
JAMES CONNER TO APPEAR ON THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW
Narduzzi Announces 2016 Ed Conway Award Winners