Jan. 30, 2012
Pitt Game Notes (pdf) | St. John's Game Notes | Game Day Central | Live Stats | Radio Broadcast |
PITTSBURGH - Pitt women's basketball entertains Big East rival St. John's on Tuesday, Jan. 31 at 7 p.m. at the Petersen Events Center. The contest will be broadcast on Pitt Panthers Television on The Comcast Network (Channels 188/210) and also can be heard on WJAS-AM 1320.
The Panthers (8-13, 0-8 Big East) are facing off with the Red Storm for the 49th time in program history. St. John's (13-8, 5-3 Big East) leads the all-time series, 32-16. The Panthers have a 10-13 record versus the Red Storm on their home court. Sixteen (16) of the last 21 meetings with St. John's have been decided by 12 or fewer points. The teams have split the last four meetings (2-2).
Ashlee Anderson hit for 20 points last season versus St. John's (5-of-8 from 3-point range) in a 72-63 loss in Queens, N.Y. Several of the all-time individual bests in the series were set the last time the squads faced off in Pittsburgh on March 1, 2010. Chelsea Cole grabbed 16 rebounds, tied for the most ever in the series while Shayla Scott blocked five shots. St. John's point guard Nadirah McKenith had 14 assists, the most by a Red Storm player versus the Panthers.
When: Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2012, 7 p.m.
Where: Pittsburgh, Pa; Petersen Events Center (12,508)
Officials: Kathleen Lynch, Tom Danaher, Laura Morris
On the Air (TV): Pitt Panthers TV, Jeff Hathhorn, Jen Tuscano
On the Air (Radio): WJAS-1320 AM, Scott Stiller, Karlyle Lim
Series Info: St. John's leads, 32-16
Current Streak: St. John's W2
Home: St. John's leads 13-10
Away: St. John's leads 17-5
Neutral: St. John's leads 2-1
Last Meeting: Feb.26, 2011, Queens, N.Y., St. John's 72, Pitt 63
First Meeting: Dec. 8. 1982, Pittsburgh, Pa., St John's 69, Pit 58
Storylines & Notables:
• Sixteen (16) of the last 21 meetings with St. John's have been decided by 12 or fewer points, 10 games over same span by fewer than nine points.
• The teams have split the last four meetings (2-2).
• Ashlee Anderson hit for 20 points last season versus St. John's (5-of-8 from 3-point range).
• The Panthers are looking for their first win in Big East play and also in their first win in the month of January.
(Mount St. Mary's, 1980)
435-383/28th season overall
152-119/Ninth season at Pitt
Last Time Out
The Panthers lost at Providence, 66-50, on Saturday. Freshman Brianna Kiesel led the team in points (17) and sophomore Kyra Dunn recorded her third career double-double (11 points, 10 rebounds).
Freshman Chyna Golden added a career-best 10 points.
• Brianna Kiesel, Fr., G, 12.9 ppg, 3.3 apg, 35.3 mpg - second in Big East
• Ashlee Anderson, So.-RS, G, 10.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg
• Leeza Burdgess, So.-RS, C, 6.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg
Saturday, Feb. 4, 8 p.m.
Kim Barnes Arico
(Montclair State, 1993)
259-203/16th season overall
165-1132/10th season at STJ
Last Time Out
St John's fell to No. 2 Notre Dame 71-56, at home on Saturday. Da'Shena Stevens and Shenneika Smith led the Red Storm with 10 points each.
• Eugeneia McPherson, 13.9 ppg, 3.1 rpg
• Shenneika Smith, 12.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg,
• Nadirah McKenith, 11.6 ppg, team-high 87 assists
at Seton Hall
Saturday, Feb. 4, 2 p.m.
South Orange, N.J.
Guest Coach: Tuesday's guest coach is State Senator Mary Jo White. Senator White serves the 21st Senatorial District (elected in 1996), which consists of Clarion, Forest and Venango Counties, and parts of Butler, Erie and Warren Counties. She was re-elected in 2000, 2004 and 2008