Oct. 13, 2011
PITTSBURGH—The University of Pittsburgh women’s basketball team hosted its annual preseason media day on Thursday at the Petersen Events Center. Head Coach Agnus Berenato, entering her ninth season at Pitt, met with the media along with redshirt sophomore Abby Dowd and freshman Brianna Kiesel.
Pitt returns one starter and five letterwinners from the 2010-11 season. This year’s team is the youngest in NCAA Division I, comprised of only sophomores (6) and freshmen (6). The Panthers welcome the first top-20 recruiting class in program history, a freshmen contingent ranked No. 19 in the nation by ESPN’s Hoopgurlz.
Pitt women’s basketball season tickets and single game tickets, as well as a mini-pack, are available. For more information call (800) 643-PITT or (412) 648-PITT or visit www.pittsburghpanthers.com.
The Panthers tip off the 2011-12 season with a home exhibition contest on Friday, Nov. 4 versus Seton Hill at the Petersen Events Center. Tip is set for 7 p.m. and the game can be heard on the women’s basketball flagship station WJAS and also will be broadcast live on the web. Pitt officially opens the campaign on Saturday, Nov. 12 versus Hampton at 2 p.m.
PITT WOMEN’S BASKETBALL’S PRESEASON STORYLINES
- ·Pitt features the youngest team in NCAA Division I in 2011-12, fielding a team comprised of only sophomores and freshmen (6 sophomores, 6 freshmen)
- ·Pitt returns one starter (Ashlee Anderson, 23 starts) and five letterwinners who posted a 14-17 record in 2010-11.
- ·The Panthers will look to replace 74.6 percent of its scoring from a season ago, having lost the top four scorers to graduation. In addition, Pitt will have to replace 64.1 percent of its total rebounds and 75.8 of the squad’s total assists from the 2010-11 season.
- ·Agnus Berenato begins her ninth season as Pitt’s head coach (144-106/.576). She has an overall record of 427-370 (27 seasons). Berenato is 15 wins away from becoming Pitt’s all-time winningest coach.
- ·Berenato has guided the Panthers to six postseason tournaments, including the program’s first NCAA Championship (2007) and back-to-back NCAA Sweet 16 appearances (2008, 2009).
- ·The Panthers boast the nation’s No. 19 recruiting class, according to ESPN’s Hoopgurlz. The class is the highest ranked incoming freshman class in school history. The class was ranked as high as No. 17.
- ·Ashlee Anderson, who started 23 of 31 games last season, is the top returning scorer. The redshirt sophomore guard averaged 5.2 points and 2.5 rebounds per game. Leeza Burdgess saw action in 30 games (12.5 minutes per contest) and averaged 3.6 points and 3.0 rebounds.
- ·Three sophomores saw valuable playing time last season, led by Marquel Davis. The guard appeared in 30 games with three starts. She averaged 2.4 points in 14.3 minutes while shooting 41.5 percent from the floor. Kyra Dunn and Asia Logan saw action in 27 and 28 games, respectively.
- ·In addition to the freshmen class, the Panthers welcome a new face in redshirt sophomore Abby Dowd. The Tipp City, Ohio native was an All-Freshman All-MAC team selection at the University of Buffalo (6.5 points, 2.3 assists) in 2009. She joined the Panthers midway through last season as a walk-on and earned a scholarship spot this season. Having sat out the 2010-11 season, she is eligible to compete this fall and will have three seasons remaining at Pitt.
School: University of Pittsburgh
City/Zip: Pittsburgh, PA 15261
School Colors: Blue & Gold (PMS 289/PMS 4515)
Arena: Petersen Events Center
Affiliation: NCAA Division I
Conference: Big East
Chancellor: Mark A. Nordenberg
Alma Mater/Year: Thiel College, 1970
Athletic Director: Steve Pederson
Alma Mater/Year: Nebraska, 1980
Senior Associate AD (SWA): Carol Sprague
Alma Mater/Year: Slippery Rock, 1971
Athletic Department Phone: (412) 648-8230
Ticket Office Phone: (412) 648-PITT (Petersen Events Center)
WOMEN’S BASKETBALL PROGRAM HISTORY
First Year of Program: 1914-15, but resumed in 1974-75
Overall All-Time Record: 532-525 (.503), beginning in 1974
Big East All-Time Record: 176-288 (.379)
Number of Postseason Appearances: Eight - NCAA (3), WNIT (5)
Last Postseason Appearance: 2009-10 WNIT
First Round, Fell to Toledo, 70-58
Head Coach: Agnus Berenato
Alma Mater/Year: Mount St. Mary’s, 1980
Record at Pitt/Years: 144-106/8
Career Record/Years: 427-370//27
Associate Head Coach Coach: Patty Coyle (Rutgers, 1982)
Assistant Coach: Khadija Head (Murray State, 2003)
Assistant Coach: Mallorie Winn (Pitt, 2007)
Director of Operations: Meghan Bielich (Clarion, 2006)
Athletic Trainer: Ann Marie Porada
Strength and Conditioning Coach: Kim King
Equipment Manager: Brian Brigger
Video Coordinator: Dave Scarborough
Academic Coordinator: Jennifer Tuscano
Women’s Basketball Phone: (412) 648-8360
Women’s Basketball Fax: (412) 648-9152
2010-11 Record: 14-17
Big East Record/Finish: 5-11/12th
Final Ranking Last Year: None
Starters Returning/Lost: 1/4
Class Breakdown: Sophomores (6), Freshmen (6) (youngest team in NCAA Division I in 2011-12)
Returning: Ashlee Anderson, So-RS, G, 5.2 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.6 apg
Lost: Taneisha Harrison, G, 15.5 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.1 spg; Jania Sims, G, 12.3ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.8 apg; Chelsea Cole, C, 9.9 ppg, 10.3 rpg; Shayla Scott, F, 9.3 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 3.0 apg;Yasmin Fuller, G, 1.7 ppg, .7 rpg
Letterwinners Returning/Lost: 5/5
Returning: Leeza Burdgess, C, 3.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg; Marquel Davis, G 2.4 ppg, 1.4 rpg; Kyra Dunn, F, 1.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg: Asia Logan, G, 3.7 ppg, 1.6 rpg
Newcomers (7): Abby Dowd (transfer, So.), Loliya Briggs, Brianna Kiesel, TiAnna Porter, Chyna Golden, Cora McManus. Walk-on Brianna Brizzi (Fr./Warrenton, Va.) added to roster Oct. 1.
McConnell-Serio Signs Finland’s Oona Ekstrom
McConnell-Serio Named USA Basketball U18 National Team Head Coach
McConnell-Serio Camp Registrations Now Open
Brenna Wise Named to ACC All-Academic Women’s Basketball Team
Pitt Falls to No. 21 Miami in ACC Tournament Second Round
Pitt Defeats North Carolina in Overtime at ACC Tournament