Panthers set to host three doubleheaders at Vartabedian Field
Walk-ons allowed to tryout on Sept.8th
Aprile led the Panthers to unprecedented success in 2015.
Outfielder Taylor Myers will join the Panthers for the 2016 season
Pitt Softball Fall Ball Pictures
Holly Aprile enters her seventh season as the head coach and her 12th season overall for the University of Pittsburgh softball program. Under the guidance of Aprile, the Panthers have established numerous school records and have seen multiple players accomplish unprecedented success.
University of Pittsburgh
- Recorded her first ACC victories over Virginia in a series sweep against the Cavaliers
- Carly Thea and Tori Nirschl were named to the All-ACC conference team
- Carly Thea was named to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association All Mid-Atlantic Region second-team, which marked the first All-Region selection in Pitt Softball history.
- Eight Panthers were named to the 2013-14 National Fastpitch Coaches Association Division I Scholar-Athlete List (NFCA)
- Team finished with a record of 15-29 and 6-18 in their first ever season in the ACC
- Tori Nirschl was named the Big East Rookie of the Year for the first time in program history
- Saw 2013 graduate Holly Stevens become the most prolific player in program history. Stevens graduated as the all-time leader in home runs (34) and runs batted in (127)
- Helped guide Savannah King to one of the best individual pitching season in history in 2012, including setting Pitt single-season marks in wins (19) and innings pitched (227.1)
- The team ranked among the top of the Big East in several categories, including second in assists, third in triples and fifth in ERA
- Team finished with a record of 26-26
- Led Pitt to its best season in program history as numerous school records fell, both individually and as a team
- The team finished with a 34-17 overall record and a 13-8 mark in Big East play. The 34 overall victories and 13 conference wins were both the most in school history
- The Panthers won 10 of their final 13 games.
- Four Panthers earned their first-ever All-Big East honors, a program record. Kelly Hmiel was selected the program's first-ever National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Player of the Week on March 15
- Directed Pitt to a 27-25 finish
- Received the highest seed ever at the Big East Tournament (No. 6)
- Junior Alyssa O'Connell pitched her first-ever no-hitter in 9-0 win against St. Francis.
- Became the second head coach in Pitt softball history in July, 2008.
- Led the Panthers to a winning season in her first year as head coach (25-24)
University of Pittsburgh
2004-2008, Assistant Coach
- Helped Pitt earn its first winning season in 2006 (32-27)
- Played an instrumental role in the team earning its first winning record in the Big East conference in 2008 (12-10)
1995-2003, Assistant Coach
- Helped guide the Gamecocks to seven NCAA Regional appearances and a College World Series berth in 1997
- A pitcher/outfielder, Aprile was a four-time all-conference first team selection (1989-92) and twice was named the Atlantic 10 Player of the Year
- Tabbed the 1992 A-10 Pitcher of the Year, 1989 A-10 Rookie of the Year and named the A-10 Tournament's outstanding pitcher twice (1989, 1992).
- Played a pivotal role in leading UMass to its first trip to the College World Series in 1992, and closed her career with a then-school record 77 victories.
- In honor of her achievements, she was inducted into the UMass Athletic Hall of Fame just three years after her graduation.
- She was also a participant on the United States National Team from 1993-99, competing in the U.S. Olympic Festival (1993-97), Pan Am Qualifying (1994, 1997) and the South Pacific Classic (1998).
- Graduated from UMass in 1992 with a degree in Sport Management
- Earned her masters degree in political science, while working as a graduate assistant coach at Eastern Illinois University in 1995.
|ALL-CONFERENCE HONOREES UNDER APRILE|
|Cory Berliner||Third Team All-Big East, 2010|
|Kelly Hmiel||Second Team All-Big East, 2011-12|
|Tori Nirschl||Big East Rookie of the Year; Third Team All-Big East, 2013; Third Team All ACC, 2014|
|Alyssa O'Connell||Third-Team All-Big East, 2011|
|Holly Stevens||Second Team All-Big East, 2011; Third Team All-Big East, 2012|
|Reba Tutt||Second Team All-Big East, 2011|
|Carly Thea||Second Team All-ACC, 2014|
|SINGLE-SEASON RECORDS UNDER APRILE|
|BATTING AVERAGE||Kelly Hmiel - .393 (2011)|
|RUNS||Reba Tutt - 47 (2011)|
|RUNS BATTED IN||Kelly Hmiel - 50 (2011)|
|TRIPLES||Reba Tutt - 6 (2011)|
|WALKS||Reba Tutt - 35 (2011)|
|SLUGGING||Kelly Hmiel - .786 (2011)|
|WINS||Savannah King - 19 (2012)|
|ERA||Savannah King - 1.72 (2012)|
|INNINGS PITCHED||Savannah King - 227.1 (2012)|
|WIN/LOSS PERCENTAGE||Alyssa O'Connell - .750 (15-5, 2011)|
|SHUTOUTS||Alyssa O'Connell - 7 (2011)|
|COMPLETE GAMES||Savannah King - 40 (2012)|
|OPPONENT BATTING AVERAGE||Savannah King - .221 (2012)|
|CAREER RECORDS UNDER APRILE|
|RUNS||Reba Tutt - 147 (2008-11)|
|HOME RUNS||Holly Stevens - 34 (2010-13)|
|RUNS BATTED IN||Holly Stevens - 127 (2010-13)|
|WALKS||Reba Tutt - 101 (2008-11)|
|STEALS||Ashley Amistade - 73 (2008-11)|
|WINS||Cory Berliner - 49 (2008-11)|
|EARNED RUN AVERAGE||Cory Berliner - 2.03 (2008-11)|
|COMPLETE GAMES||Cory Berliner - 62 (2008-11)|
Incoming Freshmen Earn High School Softball All-America and All-Region Status
Softball Coaching Staff Tabbed Best in Mid-Atlantic Region by NFCA
Four Panthers Selected to All-ACC Academic Softball Team
Pitt Garners 11 Votes in Final USA Today/NFCA Top 25 Poll
Recapping the Historic 2015 Pitt Softball Season
Pitt Student-Athletes and Teams Win ACC Top Six for Service Award