Panthers Will Play First of Four Exhibition Series Sunday
Pitt falls to the Seminoles 8-0 in six innings of play.
Pitt moves to 30-18 on the season, 7-12 in ACC play
Panthers to hold three day camps through June and July
Pitt Softball Fall Ball Pictures
University of Pittsburgh
- Coached Pitt to a 31-21 overall record, marking the second consecutive season where the Panthers have won 30-plus games.
- Led Pitt to its second ACC Tournament appearance in back-to-back years.
- Aided in the development of freshman pitcher Sarah Dawson, who tossed Pitt’s first perfect game in program history in a 13-0, five-inning win over Providence (2/27).
- Recorded her 200th career win after defeating North Carolina 7-3 at Vartabedian Field.
- Guided sophomore Giorgiana Zeremenko up the statistical leaderboard, as she became one of the top hitters in the conference and nation. Zeremenko led the ACC in slugging percentage (.888) and ranked third in home runs (17). She finished seventh in the nation in slugging percentage, 11th in home runs per game (0.34) and 16th in total home runs.
- Zeremenko also broke the all-time single-season home run record, recording 17 long balls in 2016.
- Pitt concluded the regular season leading the ACC in home runs (75), slugging percentage (.552), doubles (82) and total bases (735).
- Three Panthers were named National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Mid-Atlantic All-Region selections. Redshirt Senior Maggie Sevilla and sophomore Giorgiana Zeremenko were second-team honorees, while sophomore McKayla Taylor was a third-team selection.
- Sophomore Erin Hershman earned All-ACC First Team honors, while senior Jenna Modic and redshirt senior Maggie Sevilla were selected to the second team.
- Freshman Olivia Gray, sophomore Erin Hershman and redshirt senior Maggie Sevilla earned All-ACC Academic honors.
- Led Pitt to its first NCAA Tournament bid in program history where the team advanced to the Regional Final after defeating California and Oakland.
- Coached Pitt to the ACC Softball Championship game. The Panthers upset higher seeds Notre Dame and North Carolina on their way to the conference championship game before finishing runner-up to Florida State. It was Pitt’s first conference tournament championship game appearance in program history.
- Pitt finished with a 37-22 record, the winningest season in school history.
- Pitt’s coaching staff was named as the 2015 National Fastpitch Coaches Association Mid-Atlantic Region Coaching Staff of the Year.
- Led Jenna Modic to a first team All-ACC selection.
- Coached Shelby Pickett and Mckayla Taylor to second team All-ACC selections.
- Coached four Panthers to the NFCA All-Region team.
- Four Panthers were named to All ACC-Academic team.
- Recorded her first ACC victories over Virginia in a series sweep against the Cavaliers
- Carly Thea and Tori Nirschl were named to the All-ACC conference team
- Carly Thea was named to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association All Mid-Atlantic Region second-team, which marked the first All-Region selection in Pitt Softball history.
- Eight Panthers were named to the 2013-14 National Fastpitch Coaches Association Division I Scholar-Athlete List (NFCA)
- Team finished with a record of 15-29 and 6-18 in their first ever season in the ACC
- Tori Nirschl was named the Big East Rookie of the Year for the first time in program history
- Saw 2013 graduate Holly Stevens become the most prolific player in program history. Stevens graduated as the all-time leader in home runs (34) and runs batted in (127)
- Helped guide Savannah King to one of the best individual pitching season in history in 2012, including setting Pitt single-season marks in wins (19) and innings pitched (227.1)
- The team ranked among the top of the Big East in several categories, including second in assists, third in triples and fifth in ERA
- Team finished with a record of 26-26
- Led Pitt to its best season in program history as numerous school records fell, both individually and as a team
- The team finished with a 34-17 overall record and a 13-8 mark in Big East play. The 34 overall victories and 13 conference wins were both the most in school history
- The Panthers won 10 of their final 13 games.
- Four Panthers earned their first-ever All-Big East honors, a program record. Kelly Hmiel was selected the program's first-ever National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Player of the Week on March 15
- Directed Pitt to a 27-25 finish
- Received the highest seed ever at the Big East Tournament (No. 6)
- Junior Alyssa O'Connell pitched her first-ever no-hitter in 9-0 win against St. Francis.
- Became the second head coach in Pitt softball history in July, 2008.
- Led the Panthers to a winning season in her first year as head coach (25-24)
2004-2008, Assistant Coach
- Helped Pitt earn its first winning season in 2006 (32-27)
- Played an instrumental role in the team earning its first winning record in the Big East conference in 2008 (12-10)
1995-2003, Assistant Coach
- Helped guide the Gamecocks to seven NCAA Regional appearances and a College World Series berth in 1997
- A pitcher/outfielder, Aprile was a four-time all-conference first team selection (1989-92) and twice was named the Atlantic 10 Player of the Year
- Tabbed the 1992 A-10 Pitcher of the Year, 1989 A-10 Rookie of the Year and named the A-10 Tournament's outstanding pitcher twice (1989, 1992).
- Played a pivotal role in leading UMass to its first trip to the College World Series in 1992, and closed her career with a then-school record 77 victories.
- In honor of her achievements, she was inducted into the UMass Athletic Hall of Fame just three years after her graduation.
- She was also a participant on the United States National Team from 1993-99, competing in the U.S. Olympic Festival (1993-97), Pan Am Qualifying (1994, 1997) and the South Pacific Classic (1998).
- Graduated from UMass in 1992 with a degree in Sport Management
- Earned her masters degree in political science, while working as a graduate assistant coach at Eastern Illinois University in 1995.
Panthers Travel to Akron for More Fall Action
Pitt Welcomes Saint Francis (PA) for Exhibition Play
Pitt Sweeps Slippery Rock in Exhibition Play
Pitt Opens Fall Exhibition Schedule with Slippery Rock
Softball Announces Fall Competition Schedule
Coach Aprile Announces Date for Softball Open Tryouts