April 20, 2017Pitt Closes Out Home Slate Versus NC State
PITTSBURGH – The University of Pittsburgh softball team will close out its home slate this weekend, as the Panthers welcome NC State to Vartabedian Field in the Petersen Sports Complex.
The series will get underway Friday, April 21 with a 5 p.m. match-up. The Panthers will then play a 1 p.m. game Saturday, April 22, before concluding the series Sunday, April 22 at Noon.
HOW TO FOLLOW
- All three games can be seen live on ACC Network Extra with Josh Rowntree and Jeff Hatthorn on the call Saturday and Sunday. Live stats will also be available for all games.
- Pitt will celebrate its annual Senior Day prior to the 1 p.m. game on Saturday. The Panthers are set to honor lone senior, Kaitlin Manuel, as well as senior video manager Myla Ona.
LAST TIME OUT
- Pitt faced off against No. 25 Ohio State during a midweek match-up Tuesday, April 18. The Panthers fell short, 3-2, after a seventh inning comeback was in the works.
- Sophomore Olivia Gray hit her second leadoff home run, and sixth overall on the season, to give Pitt a 1-0 lead in the first, but a two-run home run and a single run in the seventh put OSU out in front 3-2. The Panthers put up a single run in the seventh, but were unable to muster up anymore runs.
- Pitt and NC State are currently tied 6-6 in the all-time meetings. In the most recent match-up, the Panthers took two-out-of-three from the Wolfpack, winning the last game in a 3-0 shutout April 3, 2016.
SCOUTING THE WOLFPACK
- NC State enters the weekend with a 15-29 overall record, an 8-7 mark in ACC play and hold a four-game losing streak.
- The Wolfpack currently rank sixth overall in the ACC.
- Freshman phenom Jade Caraway and senior Tyler Ross are the driving offensive forces for the Wolfpack this season. Caraway leads the team in hits (51), triples (4) and batting average (.370), while Ross leads the team in runs (32), doubles (7), RBIs (32) and walks (19).
- Senior Molly Hutchinson has been dangerous at the plate in conference play this season. Against ACC opponents, she has 15 hits, 19 RBIs, seven home runs, a .349 batting average and .860 slugging percentage.
- On the mound, freshman Peyton Silverman has earned a team-leading 11 wins for NC State, including seven wins in conference play. Silverman holds a 5.04 ERA, while striking out 101 batters in 173.2 innings this season.
- Pitt will have a week off before traveling to Atlanta, Ga., for its final series of the season against Georgia Tech May 5-7.
PITT STUDENT-ATHLETES SET TO PARTICIPATE IN COACH FOR COLLEGE PROGRAM
Manuel Garners NFCA All-Region Honors
Kaitlin Manuel: My Final Goodbye
Ortega Named to All-ACC Freshman Team
Zeremenko, Maldonado Earn First National Bank Weekly Honors
Panthers Fall to Yellow Jackets in Series Finale