March 28, 2014
The Pitt tennis team (4-8, 0-8 ACC) dropped its match Friday afternoon, 6-1, to the No. 8 North Carolina Tar Heels.
The Panthers battled through the doubles, but came up just short. On court one, Audrey Ann Blakely and Washington took 11th-ranked Whitney Kay and Caroline Price to the brink, falling 8-7 (7-5), giving the doubles point to the Tar Heels. North Carolina started out taking court three with an 8-2 win over Kimmy Borza and Molly Wickman.
In singles, Washington led the way with her impressive win over No. 47 Whitney Kay, 6-4, 6-3. She looked strong throughout and came up with her first career victory against a ranked player.
At No. 1, it was a battle of ranked players as the top-ranked player in the nation, Jamie Loeb, defeated No. 114 Audrey Ann Blakely, 6-3, 6-1, to decide the match with UNC up 4-0. On court three, Ogungbesan started off strong and led North Carolina's Ashley Dai for much of the first set, but succumbed to her with a 6-4, 6-1 loss.
Court four finished up competition first as Katherine Castro fell to North Carolina's Kate Vialle, 6-1, 6-1. Again, the first set was strong on courts five and six as Amanda Wickman dropped her match 6-3, 6-2 to Tessa Lyons and Molly Wickman fell 6-3, 6-1 to Laura Slater.
The Panthers get no rest as they return to action on Sunday against the No. 1 team in the nation as the Duke Blue Devils come to town for a 10 a.m. match at Alpha Tennis and Fitness. Admission is free and the first 100 fans in attendance will receive a Pitt roller banner.
1. #11 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (UNC) def. Taylor Washington/Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Jamie Loeb/Laura Slater (UNC) vs. Jocelyn Lu/Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 6-5 unfinished
3. Ashley Dai/Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Molly Wickman/Kimmy Borza (PITT) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (UNC) def. #114 Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Taylor Washington (PITT) def. #47 Whitney Kay (UNC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Ashley Dai (UNC) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 6-4, 6-1
4. Kate Vialle (UNC) def. Katherine Castro (PITT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Amanda Wickman (PITT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Laura Slater (UNC) def. Molly Wickman (PITT) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4,6,1,5,2,3
Four Pitt Teams Earn APR Public Recognition Awards from NCAA
Washington Named to All-ACC Third Team
Panthers Fall Short to Notre Dame
Pitt to Face Notre Dame in ACC Tourney
Pitt Drops Regular Season Finale at No. 3 North Carolina
Panthers Travel to No. 3 North Carolina Saturday