March 28, 2014
The Pitt tennis team (4-8, 0-8 ACC) dropped its match Friday afternoon, 6-1, to the No. 8 North Carolina Tar Heels.
The Panthers battled through the doubles, but came up just short. On court one, Audrey Ann Blakely and Washington took 11th-ranked Whitney Kay and Caroline Price to the brink, falling 8-7 (7-5), giving the doubles point to the Tar Heels. North Carolina started out taking court three with an 8-2 win over Kimmy Borza and Molly Wickman.
In singles, Washington led the way with her impressive win over No. 47 Whitney Kay, 6-4, 6-3. She looked strong throughout and came up with her first career victory against a ranked player.
At No. 1, it was a battle of ranked players as the top-ranked player in the nation, Jamie Loeb, defeated No. 114 Audrey Ann Blakely, 6-3, 6-1, to decide the match with UNC up 4-0. On court three, Ogungbesan started off strong and led North Carolina's Ashley Dai for much of the first set, but succumbed to her with a 6-4, 6-1 loss.
Court four finished up competition first as Katherine Castro fell to North Carolina's Kate Vialle, 6-1, 6-1. Again, the first set was strong on courts five and six as Amanda Wickman dropped her match 6-3, 6-2 to Tessa Lyons and Molly Wickman fell 6-3, 6-1 to Laura Slater.
The Panthers get no rest as they return to action on Sunday against the No. 1 team in the nation as the Duke Blue Devils come to town for a 10 a.m. match at Alpha Tennis and Fitness. Admission is free and the first 100 fans in attendance will receive a Pitt roller banner.
1. #11 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (UNC) def. Taylor Washington/Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Jamie Loeb/Laura Slater (UNC) vs. Jocelyn Lu/Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 6-5 unfinished
3. Ashley Dai/Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Molly Wickman/Kimmy Borza (PITT) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (UNC) def. #114 Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Taylor Washington (PITT) def. #47 Whitney Kay (UNC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Ashley Dai (UNC) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 6-4, 6-1
4. Kate Vialle (UNC) def. Katherine Castro (PITT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Amanda Wickman (PITT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Laura Slater (UNC) def. Molly Wickman (PITT) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4,6,1,5,2,3
Santos Announces 2017 Spring Slate
Pitt Closes Fall Season on High Note
Pitt Bounces Back to Dominate Harvard in Singles
Panthers Find Success in Opening Day at Harvard
Panthers Conclude Fall Season at Harvard
Pitt Tennis: Inside the Program