March 30, 2014
The Pitt tennis team (4-9, 0-9 ACC) picked up a point against No. 1-ranked Duke, but fell to the Blue Devils 6-1 on Sunday afternoon at Alpha Tennis and Fitness.
In doubles, Duke captured the point with two easy victories. The No. 6-ranked team of Beatrice Capra and Hanna Mar defeated Pitt’s Taylor Washington and Audrey Ann Blakely, 8-2. On court three, Amanda Wickman and Kimmy Borza dropped an 8-1 decision to Duke’s Annie Mulholland and Marianne Jodoin.
On court three, Pitt picked up a huge point as freshman Lolade Ogungbesan defeated 31st-ranked Hanna Mar of Duke, 1-6, 6-4, 10-7. Ogungbesan got off to a bit of a slow start, but battled back to win the second set. In the third, she quickly pulled away and held control to earn the win and the point for the Panthers.
At No. 2, Taylor Washington cruised in the first set 6-2 against Chalena Scholl but the roles were reversed in the second set as Scholl won 6-1. In the third set Duke picked up the win with the 6-2 decision off a strong set by Scholl.
Kimmy Borza held her own against No. 89-ranked Alyssa Smith on court four, keeping it close in the first set. Smith scored the final two points in the first set to take it 6-3. She went on to win the second set 6-2 and earn the match point for the Blue Devils.
On court one, Audrey Ann Blakely was up 5-2 in the first set on 24th-ranked Ester Goldfeld, but Goldfeld fought back and earned the first set win 7-6 (4). She went on to win the second set 6-1 to capture the point for Duke.
1. #6 Beatrice Capra/Hanna Mar (Duke) def. Taylor Washington/Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 8-2
2. #24 Ester Goldfeld/Alyssa Smith (Duke) vs. Jocelyn Lu/Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 5-4 unfinished
3. Annie Mulholland/Marianne Jodoin (Duke) def. Amanda Wickman/Kimmy Borza (PITT) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. #24 Ester Goldfeld (Duke) def. #114 Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 7-6 (4), 6-1
2. Chalena Scholl (Duke) def. Taylor Washington (PITT) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) def. #31 Hanna Mar (Duke) 1-6, 6-4, 10-7
4. #89 Alyssa Smith (Duke) def. Kimmy Borza (PITT) 6-3, 6-2
5. Annie Mulholland (Duke) def. Amanda Wickman (PITT) forfeit (inj.) 6-1, 3-0
6. Marianne Jodoin (Duke) def. Jocelyn Lu (PITT) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5,6,4*,2,1,3
Santos Announces 2016 Schedule
Panthers Complete Harvard Invitational
Pitt Downs BU at Harvard Invitational
Panthers Conclude Day One at Harvard Invitational
Pitt Tennis Ready for Harvard Invitational
Ogungbesan and Washington Fall in Semifinals