April 4, 2014
The Pitt tennis team (4-10, 0-10 ACC) earned the doubles point for the first time in ACC action but fell to No. 61-ranked Syracuse on Friday night, 6-1, at Alpha Tennis and Fitness.
Pitt won its first doubles point of the ACC season with a battle at No. 1. On court two, Lolade Ogungbesan and Jocelyn Lu easily wrapped up the 8-3 win over Rhiann Newborn and Maria Avgerinos. Pitt sealed up the point, however, on court one in a tight 8-7 (5) win for Audrey Ann Blakely and Taylor Washington over Maddie Kobelt and Valeria Salazar. The Pitt duo held the advantage most of the match, but the team from Syracuse did not go away easily, pushing it to a tiebreak.
The Panthers had a few tight singles matches including courts one, four and five. Blakely’s singles match on court one lasted nearly two and a half hours and the score reflected the effort on both sides. Maddie Kobelt of Syracuse edged out Blakely in three sets with a 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-6 (3) win to earn the Orange’s sixth and final point of the night.
On court four, Kimmy Borza lost a tough first set, 7-5, to Salazar keeping it close throughout and winning two straight points to tie it up at 5-5. In her second set, she again found herself down 3-5, but was unable to get closer than 4-5, eventually dropping the set 6-4.
On court five, Amanda Wickman fell 6-2 in the first set to Maria Avgerinos, but was able to stay competitive in the second set. Wickman tied up the set at 5-5, but Avgerinos took the final two points to win 7-5.
On court two, Washington dropped a 6-3, 6-2 match to Amanda Rodgers of Syracuse and on court three Ogungbesan fell 6-2, 6-3 to Rhiann Newborn. Junior Molly Wickman also fell on court six to Komal Safdar, 6-3, 6-2.
Pitt heads on the road Sunday for a matchup with No. 20 Notre Dame in an 11 a.m. match.
1. Taylor Washington/Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) def. Maddie Kobelt/Valeria Salazar (SU) 8-7 (5)
2. Jocelyn Lu/Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) def. Rhiann Newborn/Maria Avgerinos (SU) 8-3
3. Amanda Rogers/Komal Safdar (SU) def. Katherine Castro/Kimmy Borza (PITT) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1*
1. Maddie Kobelt (SU) def. #114 Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
2. Amanda Rodgers (SU) def. Taylor Washington (PITT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Rhiann Newborn (SU) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Valeria Salazar (SU) def. Kimmy Borza (PITT) 7-5, 6-4
5. Maria Avgerinos (SU) def. Amanda Wickman (PITT) 6-2, 7-5
6. Komal Safdar (SU) def. Molly Wickman (PITT) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,3,6,4*,5,1
Santos Announces 2017 Spring Slate
Pitt Closes Fall Season on High Note
Pitt Bounces Back to Dominate Harvard in Singles
Panthers Find Success in Opening Day at Harvard
Panthers Conclude Fall Season at Harvard
Pitt Tennis: Inside the Program