April 6, 2014
The Pitt tennis team (4-11, 0-11 ACC) was swept on Sunday afternoon at the 20th-ranked Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.
“The beauty of this conference is that only our best tennis, our best attitude, and true fight every time we step on the court will give us the chance to be successful,” said head coach Alex Santos. “Today I felt that we let the past affect the present and we didn't show up with the highest level of energy and belief. Credit given to Notre Dame for being able to capitalize and expose our weaknesses.”
In doubles on court three, the duo of Mary Closs and Molly O’Koniewski of Notre Dame defeated Kimmy Borza and Katherine Castro, 8-2. The Fighting Irish wrapped up the doubles point on court one as 8th-ranked Quinn Gleason and Britney Sanders defeated Audrey Ann Blakely and Taylor Washington in a tightly-contested 8-5 match. On court two, Jocelyn Lu and Lolade Ogungbesan were down 6-2 to Jennifer Kellner and Julie Sabacinski when the point was awarded and play was stopped.
Notre Dame continued its dominance in singles, sweeping each set from the Panthers. Court five wrapped up first, bringing the score to 2-0 in favor of Notre Dame as Amanda Wickman fell to Mary Closs 6-2, 6-0. The second match to wrap up was at No. 1 as 114th-ranked Audrey Ann Blakely fell to Britney Sanders of ND, 6-1, 6-1.
The match was decided on court four for Notre Dame as Borza fell to Monica Robinson, 6-1, 6-0. The score was increased to 5-0 with an Irish win on court six as Molly Wickman fell to Julie Vrabel 6-4, 6-1.
Ogungbesan, on court three, fell to Jennifer Kellner 7-5, 6-1 and in the most competitive match of the day, Washington battled 41st-ranked Gleason on court two and came up short 7-5, 6-3.
The Panthers will return to action next weekend at No. 27 Georgia Tech on April 11 at 4 p.m. and No. 38 Florida State on Sunday, April 13 at noon.
1. Britney Sanders/Quinn Gleason (ND) vs Taylor Washington/Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT), 8-5
2. Jennifer Kellner/Julie Sabacinski (ND) vs. Jocelyn Lu/Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT), 6-2, unfinished
3. Mary Closs/Molly O’Koniewski (ND) def. Kimmy Borza/Katherine Castro (PITT), 8-2
1. Britney Sanders (ND) def. #114 Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT), 6-1, 6-1
2. #41 Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Taylor Washington (PITT), 7-5, 6-3
3. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT), 7-5, 6-1
4. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Kimmy Borza (PITT), 6-1, 6-0
5. Mary Closs (ND) def. Amanda Wickman (PITT), 6-2, 6-0
6. Julie Varbel (ND) def. Molly Wickman (PITT), 6-4, 6-1
Pitt Drops 4-0 Decision to No. 6 Georgia Tech
Pitt to Host No. 6 Georgia Tech, Florida State
Time Change for Pitt vs. Georgia Tech Friday
Chancellor Gallagher Names Heather Lyke Pitt Athletic Director
Panthers Fall to Clemson on the Road
Panthers Travel to Clemson Sunday