April 11, 2014
The Pitt tennis team (4-12, 0-12 ACC) dropped a 7-0 decision to 32nd-ranked Georgia Tech (10-7, 7-4 ACC) on the road Friday afternoon.
“Jocelyn and Lolade played great doubles today,” said head coach Alex Santos. “They put themselves in the position to win the match, but they have to do a better job of keeping and expanding the lead when they earn a great start. I felt that we could have won the doubles point today and the reason why we lost it wasn't based on tennis alone. Today Georgia Tech was a better team than us and outplayed us across the singles line up. However, we have to be more mature and understand that if we are playing according to the scoreboard then we aren't making the most out of the situation and playing at our greatest potential. Florida State will be a great opportunity to keep developing and learning.”
Pitt’s doubles team of Taylor Washington and Audrey Ann Blakely battled fifth-ranked Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey of Georgia Tech on court one, but fell 8-4 to give the Yellow Jackets the doubles point. The first match decided was on court three as the Panthers’ Kimmy Borza and Katherine Castro fell to Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer and Rasheeda McAdoo, 8-0. Court two went unfinished with Jocelyn Lu and Lolade Ogungbesan leading Georgia Tech’s Natasha Prokhnevska and Muriel Wacker, 5-3.
The Yellow Jackets continued their sweep on singles as Pitt was unable to score more than three points in any set. Washington finished first on court one as she fell 6-2, 6-1 to Woodard. The senior stepped into the top spot for Blakely, who sat out singles.
Amanda Wickman dropped a 6-1, 6-3 match to Anton-Ohlmeyer on court six for the third Georgia Tech point of the match. The match was decided on court four when Borza fell to McAdoo, 6-1, 6-0 for the 4-0 lead in the match.
On court five, Molly Wickman fell to Wacker, 6-3, 6-0 and Ogungbesan fell 6-2, 6-1 to Kurey of Georgia Tech on court two. The match concluded on court three as Katherine Castro fell to Natasha Prokhnevska, 6-3, 6-2.
The Panthers will now travel to Florida State for a Sunday match at noon.
1. #5 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) def. Taylor Washington/Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 8-4
2. Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GT) vs. Jocelyn Lu/Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 3-5, unfinished
3. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer/Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Kimmy Borza/Katherine Castro (PITT) 8-0
1. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Taylor Washington (PITT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Katherine Castro (PITT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Kimmy Borza (PITT) 6-1, 6-0
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Molly Wickman (PITT) 6-3, 6-0
6. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Amanda Wickman (PITT) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,6,4,5,2,3)