April 18, 2014
The Pitt tennis team (4-14, 0-14 ACC) dropped its season finale, 6-1, to 70th-ranked NC State on Friday night at Alpha Tennis and Fitness on Senior Day.
Despite NC State claiming the doubles point, the Panthers put up a good fight on courts one and three. The Wolfpack earned the edge quickly, however, on court two with an 8-2 win over Pitt’s Jocelyn Lu and Lolade Ogungbesan (Rachael James-Baker and Liza Fieldsend).
Pitt tied up doubles with a strong 8-5 victory on court one. The duo of Taylor Washington and Audrey Ann Blakely took down NC State’s Joelle Kissell and Sophie Nelson. On court three, the Panthers’ Kimmy Borza and Katherine Castro hung on, but were unable to defeat the team of Elilsha Hande and Nicole Martinez, who won 8-6.
NC State picked up their second point of the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win on court two of James-Baker over Washington. They then took the 3-0 commanding lead on court six as Nelson defeated Amanda Wickman, also by a score of 6-2, 6-2.
The Wolfpack claimed the match on court five as Fieldsend beat Pitt’s Borza in a hard-fought battle, 6-3, 6-2. On court one, Blakely held the early lead in the second set, but wasn’t able to hold off a charge from Kissell as she fell 6-3, 6-4 to give NC State the 5-0 lead.
Castro pushed her match on court four to a tie break after rebounding from a 6-1 defeat in the first set to Hande. Castro won the second set 6-4, but dropped the tiebreak 10-3 to give NC State the 6-0 lead.
Pitt earned their point in the final match of the day with Ogungbesan blazing out to a quick 6-3 win in the first set over Nicole Martinez. Her second set was a battle back and forth as Martinez took the 7-6 win, but Ogungbesan earned the win with the 7-5 tiebreaker.
Pitt travels to Cary, N.C., next week for their first-ever ACC Tournament April 23-27. The Panthers are set to play at noon on Wednesday, but will find out their opponent after regular season conference play wraps up on Sunday.
1. Taylor Washington/Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) def. Joelle Kissell/Sophie Nelson (NCST) 8-5
2. Rachael James-Baker/Liza Fieldsend (NCST) def. Jocelyn Lu/Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 8-2
3. Elisha Hande/Nicole Martinez (NCST) def. Kimmy Borza/Katherine Castro (PITT) 8-6
1. Joelle Kissell (NCST) def. Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 6-3, 6-4
2. Rachael James-Baker (NCST) def. Taylor Washington (PITT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) def. Nicole Martinez (NCSU) 6-3, 6-7 (7-5)
4. Elisha Hande (NCST) def. Katherine Castro (PITT) 6-1, 4-6 (3)
5. Liza Fieldsend (NCST) def. Kimmy Borza (PITT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Sophie Nelson (NCST) def. Amanda Wickman (PITT) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,6,5,1,4,3)
Four Pitt Teams Earn APR Public Recognition Awards from NCAA
Washington Named to All-ACC Third Team
Panthers Fall Short to Notre Dame
Pitt to Face Notre Dame in ACC Tourney
Pitt Drops Regular Season Finale at No. 3 North Carolina
Panthers Travel to No. 3 North Carolina Saturday