April 21, 2012
TAMPA, Fla.—The University of Pittsburgh women’s tennis team concluded its season with a 4-3 loss to St. John’s in its second match at the 2012 Big East Championship on Saturday, April 21 at USF’s Varsity Courts.
The contest began with the Red Storm winning the doubles point. However, freshman Amanda Wickman and Molly Wickman were dominate in an 8-1 victory in the No. 3 slot. The duo improved to 17-6 on the year.
Later in No. 5 singles, M. Wickman gave the Panthers their first point of the match when she captured a pair of 6-0 sets to earn her 14th win of the season.
Next, sophomore Kimmy Borza tied the contest at 2-2, as she claimed her 16th singles victory of the year. Playing in the No. 6 spot, Borza posted scores of 6-2, 6-1.
In No. 3 singles, sophomore Taylor Washington gave Pitt a short-lived 3-2 advantage. Washington recorded her 22nd singles win of the year and her seventh consecutive straight-set victory with scores of 6-2, 6-4.
St. John’s answered with a victory in No. 4 singles to tie the match at 3-3.
In the final contest, junior Gabrielle Catanzariti battled back from a first-set loss to tally a 6-3 win in the second set of No. 2 singles. In the decider, Catanzariti put up a fight but she was bested 6-2.
1. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) def. Jocelyn Lu (Pitt) 6-1, 6-2
2. Diamond Adams (STJ) def. Gabrielle Catanzariti (Pitt) 7-5, 3-6, 6-2*
3. Taylor Washington (Pitt) def. Joanna Zwirbulis (STJ) 6-2, 6-4
4. Nakita Austin (STJ) def. Amanda Wickman (Pitt) 6-1, 7-5
5. Molly Wickman (Pitt) def. Ece Firat (STJ) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kimmy Borza (Pitt) def. Terri Thomas (STJ) 6-2, 6-1
1. Nevena Selakovic/Diamond Adams (STJ) def. Jocelyn Lu/Taylor Washington (Pitt) 8-6*
2. Ece Firat/Joanna Zwirbulis (STJ) def. Gabrielle Catanzariti/Kimmy Borza (Pitt) 8-3
3. Amanda Wickman/Molly Wickman (Pitt) def. Nakita Austin/Terri Thomas (STJ) 8-1
Blakely Wins Doubles Title at ITA Summer Circuit
Pitt Tennis Blanked by Notre Dame
Pitt Tennis Opens ACC Tournament with Notre Dame
Panthers Fall in Regular Season Finale to Florida State
Pitt Tennis Drops 6-1 Decision to Virginia
Pitt Tennis Concludes Regular Season at Virginia, Florida State