March 18, 2017Panthers Travel to Clemson Sunday
PITTSBURGH – The Pitt tennis team is set to travel to Clemson, S.C., Sunday, March 19 to take on the Tigers in ACC action. The dual is slated to begin at noon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center.
The Panthers enter Sunday’s contest after dropping a hard-fought battle to Boston College Friday, while the Tigers also fell in their last time out Friday. Clemson leads the all-time series 3-0 and most recently defeated Pitt a year ago, 5-2.
LAST TIME OUT
- Pitt dropped a 4-3 decision in conference play to Boston College Friday at the Alpha Tennis and Fitness Center.
- The Panthers clinched the doubles point, while redshirt senior Amber Washington and senior Audrey Ann Blakely earned singles victories.
LIGHTS OUT AT NO. 1
- Washington made the move to No. 1 singles this season after playing consistently at the No. 6 position a year ago and boasts a team second-best 13 wins on the season.
- The St. Paul, Minn., native is 5-1 in at the No. 1 spot this year and is 8-2 in her last 10 matches. Washington is also 2-1 against nationally ranked opponents.
SCOUTING THE TIGERS
- Clemson is 5-8 on the year with a 2-4 mark in conference play.
- The Tigers are led by sophomore Ayan Broomfield at No. 1 singles. Broomfield jumped into the Oracle/ITA rankings March 7 after defeating No. 4 Sara Daavettila of North Carolina, checking in at No. 77.
- Broomfield is also ranked in doubles alongside sophomore Marie Leduc, ranking No. 35.
- Prior to the loss at Syracuse, Clemson posted back-to-back ACC wins over Virginia Tech and Louisville.
- The Panthers return to Pittsburgh to host Georgia Tech Friday, March 24 at 4 p.m., before taking on Florida State Sunday, March 26 at the Alpha Tennis and Fitness Center.
Pitt Drops 4-0 Decision to No. 6 Georgia Tech
Pitt to Host No. 6 Georgia Tech, Florida State
Time Change for Pitt vs. Georgia Tech Friday
Chancellor Gallagher Names Heather Lyke Pitt Athletic Director
Panthers Fall to Clemson on the Road
Panthers Travel to Clemson Sunday